Factors of Consideration When Choosing Pressure Transmitters
November 21, 2018
Over the years, pressure transducers have proved to be a convenient, accurate and reliable means of measuring fluid pressure in a wide variety of applications from HVAC/R compressors, variable speed pumps to industrial pipelines, among others. Unlike the past, there are several models of pressure sensors available with advanced heat dissipation, reduced creep and hysteresis effects, among others for use in the harshest environments with the presence of the most hostile and corrosive media. Due to the numerous options and models available, it often becomes a tough decision to select the one that rightly suits the potential applications and installation locations. Although there are no hard and fast rules to follow when selecting pressure transmitters, a few parameters can be considered to make a wise selection for your process measurement. This post, which contains two parts, is intended to give you an insight into the crucial factors to consider when selecting sensors for your applications.Other than the three points listed above, it is advisable that you keep in mind the following points as well while looking out to buy pressure transmitters.
Guide to Select the Right Pressure TransmittersGetting the right pressure transducers is of utmost importance to meet the requirements at hand. There are several factors such as long-term stability, insensitivity to vibration, flexibility and repeatability, availability of custom calibration, and energy efficiency, which must be closely evaluated before selecting a model. Rather than these, the following points must also be taken into consideration to make an informed purchase.
- Pressure Range: Those who are looking out to buy pressure transmitters must get the answers to the following questions:
- What is the pressure range that the transducer will measure?
- What is the maximum pressure the transducer will encounter?
- What is the potential for over pressure in the system?
- What is the proof pressure?
- What is the burst pressure?
- Durable Construction: Pressure transmitters are usually put to operation in arduous operating conditions in the presence of corrosive media and agents. To perform reliability with optimum performance in these conditions, it is important that they are constructed with durable materials that can withstand corrosion and other atmospheric uncertainties. It is always better to prefer sensors with all-weld construction and those that are IP rated.
- Media and Material Compatibility: During their service life, pressure sensors may come in contact with several kinds of media, and hence it is crucial to check the media compatibility of the selected model. Check whether the model you have chosen can withstand motor oil, brake fluid, refrigerants, hydraulic fluids, seawater, wastewater, tap water, oxygen, compressed air, and nitrogen for a long run. Also, ensure that the sensor components such as diaphragm, fittings and welds are made from materials that can withstand harsh media such as ammonia, ionized water, salt water, hydrogen, acids and jet fuel.
Factors to Consider for a Better Purchase
- Operating Environment: Pressure transmitters are installed in varied environmental conditions. However, ensure that the model you have chosen must be manufactured to withstand the factors in the application environment such as extreme temperature and humidity range. In case you need a sensor for application in extreme environmental condition, you must speak to the manufacturer about your ingress protection requirements. Similarly, shock and vibration protection must also be taken into consideration when opting transmitters for applications in locomotives or fire trucks.
- Connections: Do not ever forget to check the electrical and mechanical connections before choosing pressure transducer for your industrial applications. If the chosen model is intended for the highly corrosive environment, prefer the one with pressure fittings made from stainless steel.
You must also check for:
- Sensing technology and circuit design
- Measurement limit of the sensor
- System accuracy
- Regulatory considerations
- Power consumption
- Possibility of modification or customization
- Handling and installation
As mentioned earlier, accurate pressure measurement is critical in almost all industrial automation and process environments. Choosing the right model by considering the aforementioned points, really pitched to help you to achieve the intended accurate results.
Stay away from choosing an inappropriate transmitter that might affect the equipment or increase the possibility of inaccurate reading. To make a wise selection, you may compare the models available at the supplier’s facility. You can involve in a healthy discussion with the supplier to know the best that serves your purpose.
It is always advisable to partner with trusted suppliers to procure the transmitter not only because they keep a vast inventory of varied models but also bring you only trusted brands. This post ends by letting you know about Transmitter Shop, who keeps the world’s largest inventories of ready-to-ship transmitters and accessories. The company, owing to its several years of experience, works with their customers to provide them with the right model after understanding their application requirements to the fullest.